Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Changes

Change is mandatory, growth is optional.

Advice my dad gave me years ago. These are also the words that helped me in my transition from living in the states, to living in Korea. They are also words that can be applied to so many things in life.

I have been working in Korea for 6 months now. In those 6 months, I have grown quite close with my students. I have been with them for 5 days a week and I have seen them grow so much, both physically and academically. It is only natural that I have formed bonds with each of them and that they play a big part in my life. About a month and a half ago I learned one of my favorite kids was moving to the states. I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorites but let's be honest, we all know our teachers had favorites when we were in school. I was so sad when I heard this news, I almost had tears in my eyes. He was such is such a cute little guy and such a sweet kid; he was almost like my Toby replacement.

The month before he left, he was gone quite a lot, saying good bye to family and friends around the country. And he was so sad. When he was at school, he was always on the verge of tears and a few times he did start crying. The week before he left, it was the end of the day and I was giving him a hug good-bye and he looked up at me with his big brown eyes and stuck his lip out and said, "10 more days." So sad! I wanted to cry then and there. He was only at school about 5 days of his last 2 weeks and with about 3 days to go, we were walking up the stairs after lunch and he looked up at me and asked, "Katie teacher, will you miss me when I leave?" So precious!

Three days later, it was his last day. We threw a little party for him and gave him a few good bye gifts. I had all the kids make a card for him, took his picture with all his classmates, laminated all of them and made a little book for him for a keepsake. As the party was winding down and "home time" was getting closer and closer, him and his classmates were realizing what was about to happen. Justin, the boy leaving, was quite sad, as was his best friend Ian. I have to say his teacher was very sad as well.

We said our good-byes and I assured him that he would have so much fun in the U.S.A. I will miss Justin but like the saying goes, change is mandatory, growth is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment