Friday, December 10, 2010

Some school updates

I realize I have been writing a lot about what I have been doing OUTSIDE of school and I thought I would give you an update on what has been going on at school.

Things have been pretty good at school. I can't believe how fast the year is going by. It feels like I just started teaching these kids and now I will have to say good-bye in less than 3 months. With the end of the school year, also comes the end of my contract. My other foreign co-workers decided a while back to leave after their one year contract and travel. They had voiced their decisions by talking openly about where they will be going and the things they plan on seeing. By doing so, my boss knew they were all planning on leaving and it would be hard to talk them into staying for another year. Since I had come to Korea with the idea of possibly staying two years, I didn't make plans for traveling after my contract was up. And because I had no plans, I never talked about what I might want to do once my contract was done.

A few weeks back, my boss approached me and asked me what my plans were. I told her I wasn't sure but I was maybe leaning on staying for another 6 months, maybe a full year. To make a long story short, I had wanted to go home after 6 months so I could do apply to Teach for America and be home in time for my in person interview. I had wanted to stay a full year but it wouldn't' be possible since I HAD to be home for the interview. My parents had a better idea. They thought that instead of me coming home after 6 months, I could just fly home for the interview and still be able to stay in Korea for a full year. I like this option the best.

I went back to my boss and told her I could stay a year and they came back to me with some numbers. Without getting into too many specifics, lets just say I am very happy with not only the raise I will be getting but the signing bounce I will get on top of that. Not to mention the more opportunities I will have to travel. Although staying another year means one more year away from my family, more missed holidays, birthdays, marathons, and not seeing my nieces and nephews growing up, this experience is like nothing I have ever experienced and its something I'm not ready to give up yet.

And even though there have been many times I have been unhappy with my school, overall it has been pretty good. I am always paid on time, I work decent hours, and I live in a great apartment and a great area. There is little for me to complain about.

So there it is, I will be here until March '12, and after that I hope to travel around Southeast Asia for a few months. I'm really excited to be staying and very happy with my decision. Plus, this just gives those of you out there reading this an excuse to visit Asia!

1 comment:

  1. Even though I knew you were staying and I am happy cause I will hopefully be able to come there again, I cried a bit to think of another year without weekly actual phone calls. I am happy you are getting to do all of this and love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete