Monday, March 15, 2010

Learning while teaching

I came to Korea to teach, but I knew coming here it would also be a huge learning experience. Not only learning about a different culture but about myself. And so far it has been. As of two weeks ago, I had never taught my own class. I had never had to prepare lesson plans or been the carrier of so much information. In two short weeks I have taught 6-year-old kids learn what rapidly and hastily mean and that they are synonyms (or cinnamons according to them. It's really cute to see 6-year-old Korean kids try to say synonym). And it's a wonderful feeling knowing you are helping further their education. I realize teaching is hard but I have learned in two short weeks that education is my true calling and I want to further my teaching career when I get back to the states.

With the joys I have already experienced the tribulations that also come with teaching. I have two very difficult students, one in each class. Today was one of those trying days with that student. It was like pulling teeth to get him to write one sentence and at one point started crying for no reason. After consoling him and trying to find out what was wrong, I was able to get him to at least tell me the sentences he would have wrote. although the pencil never touched his paper, I felt it was a bit of a victory. I was able to get him to stop crying and he even smiled when he gave me a good sentence.

There are a few things about Korean culture I have also learned in my few short weeks here. I now know why they are all so skinny. It's really three-fold. First, it's impossible to get fat when you eat with chopsticks. You can't fit a huge bite of anything on chopsticks so there for you eat slower and thus get full quicker and you don't over eat like many Americans. Second, you can't get fat by eating cabbage. I swear I have seen cabbage cooked, grilled, sauteed, and prepared every which way possible. And there's just no way to get fat off cabbage. Third, although cars are all around, you can get around without one, and if you do, you walk EVERYWHERE! There are subways and buses to get you to your destination, you will most likely be walking once you get there. They love their exercise in this country.

I have also learned, or am learning, how to use chopsticks. I look like a kid with special needs right now when I use them, but I'm getting better and will master it before I leave.

I've also learned that it's tough to be away from those you love. I knew it would be hard leaving everyone and everything that is familiar to me, but it's nothing you can truly prepare for. Saying last good-byes was hard but seeing my little nephew on skype and hearing him say "I wove you Katie" breaks my heart. And knowing everyone is together and doing things as a group but I'm not there is tough. But then I think of the wonderful experience coming here has been and will be and it makes it a bit easier. I think I have also learned I would rather hear my little buddy say he misses me and be able to see my parents than to just write e-mails and make phone calls. There's something about seeing their faces that keeps me connected and not as homesick. I didn't skype with my family this weekend and I felt like something was missing. I wanted to tell them about the cool things I saw in Insa-dong and about my week of teaching and felt a little incomplete without being able to see them.

I miss everyone and I miss home, but I look at all I have learned in three weeks and know it's just a sliver of what this adventure will bring.

3 comments:

  1. About that cabbage, have you tried kimchi yet? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimchi was one of the first things I ate. It was grilled and so good. I don't really like it cold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are outstanding pics of the temples. Is that in Seoul? It looks so cool next to the larger buildings.

    ReplyDelete