Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Snow in Korea

It snowed!!! South Korea does get snow, but not in March so this was a shock to all! And it is interesting watching those who don't usually get much snow, deal with snow removal. As I was finishing my run this morning I saw one guy getting the snow off his car with his umbrella, that was a method I had never seen before. They don't have plows so they do whatever they can to move the snow off sidewalks and even the grass. I saw people trying to shovel as much as they could off the road and using brooms to clear walks. And they have no idea how to drive in snow! Thankfully I don't have to drive here but watching the traffic move along was quite hilarious. I don't think anyone was going over 30 mph. Thankfully it will all be gone by tomorrow when it's supposed to be 45 and sunny.

The snow was a good distraction to the crazy day that was going to unfold. Wednesdays are good and bad. They are good because I get to spend most of my day with my Leeds class (they are my smart ones). It is so much fun watching them understand new topics and concepts. They are learning new vocabulary words; gullible, devious, courteous, hastily, and it is so much fun to watch them learn the word and learn how to use it in everyday language. They are also learning the differences between their, they're, and there and it's and its. This is a much more difficult topic for them. But it is so great to see their faces when they understand. They stand up and start shouting answers out! I love it! It's funny though because one of the classroom rules is "we must use our indoor voices." So when some kids get a bit too loud, one girl will cover her ears and say "too loud!" It's so funny! It reminds me of Toby.

Speaking of Toby, today I shared with my Leeds class that my sister-in-law was born in Seoul and that my nephew looks like them. They thought it was so cool that Jen was born in Seoul. I showed them a picture of Jen and Toby and they thought it was so cool that she was Korean and had so many questions. It was really nice to be able to share part of my life with them. They are really starting to warm up to me, which is nice. I have had one girl tell me that she loves me and one of the girls gave me her Hello Kitty sticker! That is prize material.

Although the days are long and trying, it makes it worth it when I can make those connections with them.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Glad to hear that you are having some rewarding moments. Our snow is almost gone here too, it has been raining for the past 3 days, crazy. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete