Friday, January 7, 2011

Sometimes in life, we fall

One of the "fun" things about life in Korea is the fact that at any moment your school can come to you and say, "you have to move." This happens because the lease runs out on our apartments and they don't resign for one reason or the other. Almost everyone of the foreign teachers has had to move at some point in time this year and my time came 3 days before our Christmas break and my trip to the Philippines. Although moving is a huge pain in the butt, it wasn't too bad with the help of the guys from work and from Jared. I was a little annoyed at the fact I had to move but my new place looked nice and it was a loft, like me old place, so I was okay with it.

It didn't take too long to move everything out of one place and into the other. Luckily I was moving to an apartment in the same building so I didn't have to pack up everything, some things I could move from place to place. After we got everything into my new place, it didn't take too long to get settled and get things looking like a home again. I was happy with my new place and happy that it didn't take all night to get settled. I even had enough time that night to relax for about an hour and watch the Gilmore Girls before I went to bed. After the show was over, I turned off the lights and headed up stairs to bed. That's when the night began.

Now, in my old apartment I had a loft and climbed the stairs to my loft every night with no trouble. For some reason, climbing the new stairs in my new place was different. As I was climbing the stairs for my first night in my new place I lost my balance and fell off the stairs. Now, when I say "fell off" that is exactly what I mean. I didn't fall down the stairs, I fell off the stairs. In the lofts, one side of the stairs is a wall, the other side is completely open and it opens out into the living room. That is where I fell. I was about 5 feet in the air I fell right on to my right wrist and right hip. At first I couldn't really do anything, I couldn't even cry. I was in shock. I knew my arm was broken because I couldn't not move it at all and I was praying a bruised hip would be all I would have. Luckily I had not brought my phone upstairs yet, I use it for my alarm. It was on the coffee table next to me, so I pulled the table to me and called Jared. At this point I'm bawling and freaking out. All I said to him was, "can you come over here?" He didn't even ask why just said yes and hung up the phone. He was over in a flash, he lives in the building right next to mine, and I told him what happened. Immediately he asked if I wanted an ambulance but I thought I could move on my own. Slowly he got me to the couch and left to get the car to go to the hospital.

The rest is pretty uneventful hospital funness. We waited in the ER about and hour to get x-rays and they me what I already knew, my wrist was broken but my hip was okay, just bruised. I got a splint put on and made an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon two days later to determine if I needed surgery or just a cast.

We got home around 2am and I called my parents to tell them what happened (It was 11 in the afternoon at home so I wasn't waking anyone). Jared insisted on staying with me that night, and I'm thankful he did. He set up a bed for me on the couch and he slept next to me on the floor and he helped me get in and out of the couch when I had to go to the bathroom during the night. I didn't sleep too much that night. There was just no way to get comfortable with a extremely bruised hip and broken arm.

I called work early the next day and told them what happened. I just relaxed the next two days at home watching Gilmore Girls and trying to get some sleep. By Thursday I could move around a little better and got everything packed for vacation.

I was extremely bummed I wouldn't be able to swim in the Philippines but I was so fortunate that I only broke my wrist. It could have been much much worse. And I am extremely lucky to have Jared in my life. He was amazing through the whole thing. He stayed calm that night and he took great care of me while I was hurt. The Philippines was still great, even with a cast, because what better place to relax and recover than in paradise!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found someone to look out for you and help you out, sounds wonderful :). Hoping you are doing well. Go Packers!

    ReplyDelete