Thursday, September 16, 2010

And I do teach once in a while....

I realize it has been a long time since I wrote about school and teaching. I have just been having too much fun doing everything else :) But o-my, the changes that have been happening at school, where shall I begin....

After Brian and Justin left the school, I still miss both of them very much, our class was down to 5 kids. Another 7-year-old class, Preston, was at 4 kids. Instead of having these two classes separate and have two different teachers, the school decided to combined the two classes. It made sense, financially, because the school didn't have to have a teacher for a small class and they were able to create another class, which means more money for them. It also made sense because Heidi, the teacher of Preston, was leaving because her contract was up and the kids were without a teacher. But it also means huge headaches for me and Sheena. The two classes were studying completely different books and were/are at different academic levels. Plus, my class grew from 7 kids to 9 kids, with some very strong and contrasting personalities.

It was a bit of a struggle at the very beginning. Trying to get the "new" kids caught-up in the lessons and workbooks was challenging, but it was very encouraging to see how well the new kids were adjusting and rolling with the punches. Kids are resilient. The Preston kids had switched teachers, books and classrooms and they didn't even flinch. Of course they were sad Heidi had left and they were a bit nervous to start new books and learn new things, but it didn't take them long to feel comfortable in their new class.

About 2 weeks after the classes combined, Bristol got one more "new" student. Amy joined our class from another 7 year old class in the school. Our class is now at 10 students, 7 of which are girls!! If ever I have kids, I pray to God they are boys!! Oh my goodness! These girls are 7 going on 13. They have attitudes, they are catty, they gossip, and they do it all right in front of me and Sheena. We have been one class for about 3 weeks now and we have already had tears being shed because of teasing and bullying. They act like best friends one minute and the next they are fighting over who was done writing a sentence faster. It's been very trying and has taken some creative seating arrangements to stop the bickering and cattiness.

Even though it has been an interesting and exhausting past few weeks, I have really enjoyed getting to know my new kids. They have started warming up to me but I can still instill fear in them, by taking away their stickers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment