Thursday, February 18, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane

Well, this is it. My last night at home.I can't believe how fast time has gone by. The past four months I have just been talking about this great experience I've decided to take and all the great things I will learn and all the amazing things I will see; and now it's actually happening. It still seems a bit unreal to me and I don't think it will actually sink in until I've landed in Seoul and realize what I've gotten myself into for the next year. But even with the great deal of unknown that is awaiting me, I'm really not that nervous. There's more excitement than nerves.

Tonight was the last of my good-byes. And it started with my sister and her two kids coming over to say good-bye. My niece and nephew are 10 and 7 and they both drew pictures for me to hang on my wall in Korea. As they were giving them to me I started to tear up. It was nice to be able to see them for even a short period of time before I left. Saying good-bye to my sister was hard. And what makes it even more hard is that both her and I cry at a drop of a hat so you can imagine what it was like to try to say good-bye for a year. I'll miss being able to pick up the phone to ask her one simple question and end up talking for an hour and a half! At least I can cut back on my cell phone minutes.

Then there came saying good-bye to Toby and Jen. Toby is 3 so he doesn't quite understand that when I said good-bye tonight that he won't see me at grandma and grandpa's for Sunday night dinners. Needless to say the good-bye was much harder for me than him. And knowing that I won't be seeing the twin girls for their first year of life sucks but at least they won't forget me, because they won't remember who I am. And hopefully Jen can make it over, seeing as though it is her homeland.

Then there was the boys. Not all of them yet, just PJ and Matt. Although they don't cry at Kleenex commercials like me and Angie, there were still some tears and long hugs. I'll miss running Saturday mornings and back-to-back marathons with them and just hanging out. It's amazing how much we take things for granted and we don't realize it. Like being able to drive up to CR to hang out with Matt or shoot over to PJ's and see Toby and the girls. Yes, I realize that may be a bit dramatic, it's not like I'm leaving and never coming back, but being as close to my siblings as I am, I'm not just leaving family, I'm leaving my best friends too.

Tomorrow morning will bring the toughest task of them all, saying good-bye to Luke and my parents. I think my dad will try to be strong and not cry for mine and my mom's sake. Because God knows my mom will be a wreck. They have been my inspiration, ,my role models, and my support system my entire life. They have always been supportive in whatever I do and I wouldn't be where I am today without there love and care. It's going to be hard to leave them but it's because of them I am able to venture off and do what I need to do.

I can't wait to get there and finally start living!

No comments:

Post a Comment