Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some final good-byes

Less than 36 hours before liftoff and this afternoon was full of a few final good-byes. I made my way up to Coon Rapids today to say good-bye to two of my closest friends. It was strange to visit with them knowing I won't be seeing them for over a year. And even though we don't see each other all that often during the year, we still make it to Caribou once every few months and were able to catch up and reminisce about the many nights in high school we would spend at Caribou doing physics homework. It's those little things that I won't be able to take part in during the next year that I will miss.

I also said my final good-bye to my wonderful ex-roommate. For two and a half years we lived together and after I decided to take on this amazing journey, I moved home and away from living with him. That in itself was hard. Then tonight I had to say a real good-bye. He was/is my best guy friend and has helped me through a lot in the last two and a half years, including rent at a discount :)

As the good-byes keep coming, everyone is asking me if I'm nervous, excited, sad, and/or scared. And honestly, although I am really sad to leave everyone, I'm really excited! Saying good-bye to friends was hard, and I know tomorrow night will be the hardest to come when I say good-bye to my siblings and my little buddy, but it's not a depressing sad because I know the next year or two to come with be two of the greatest years of my life. I'm so excited to experience a new culture, to learn a new language and new traditions, but most of all I'm excited to learn about myself. My parents keep telling me this can be a great experience but it will be what I make of it. I know I'll be home-sick but its how I overcome that and take advantage of my time abroad.

I can't wait for the year ahead and everything I will learn.

Oh yea, my teddy bear and pillow will be making the trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment